Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The String in the Steel

I spent most of last week at NESM in a Viking dagger class with J. Arthur Loose
Where I made this dagger.  It's 9.5 " long and made in the style of viking blades where a core of multiple bars is wrapped in an edge.  Here's a picture of the blade when the edge was prepared to weld, which pretty much explains what I'm talking about:
You can see the pattern of the core near the bottom.  I was trying to do a pattern called the serpent in the steel, but things didn't work out right and what I ended up with looks more like Spaghetti or strings in the steel :-\
 Being the anal-retentive detail freak I am, I was worried about a very thin line in the blade right on the main ridge.  I was afraid a weld hadn't taken -- so I discovered a new use for my digital microscope!  Weld inspection!


It was not a crack, but a dark line of weld inclusions with a few super tiny cavities where some flux must have gotten trapped.  This cavity is actually in the middle of the picture above.

In any case - it was a great class and I learned a huge amount.  Now I just need a hydraulic press and some time off...

No comments:

Post a Comment