Saturday, March 23, 2013

Inception

Well, I was going to build my own website, but the easy website creators were frustrating and i managed to break them, and the pro tools were too much like work.  I code enough during the day that it's the last thing I want to do when I get home.  So this is the compromise.

The whole purpose of this blog is to let other people see my work.  I'm not actively selling stuff right now, but if something really catches your eye email me and we can talk about it.  By the way, "stuff" = knives, bows, furniture, sculpture, tools, and anything else I feel like building.  So let's start with a bang - my addled interpretation of a viking war knife:

The blade is 16" long with an over length of 25".  Yes, there is a lively debate whether it's a short sword or a
really big knife.  The blade is made from 1075 carbon steel, with a bit of differential hardening done by eye.  The result is what looks like smoke clouds in the blade.  I find it interesting.
 The handle is heat-darkened cherry carved in a Celtic knot pattern.  It's been stabilized with Min-wax wood hardener and finished with Waterlox. Fittings are brass that I shaped myself from bar stock.
The back of the blade has a braid carved into it for about 3/4 of the blade length.  To answer the question everyone asks, it was done with files, chisels, and gravers.
And to answer the second question everyone asks, it took me approximately 72 hours total to make the knife & sheath.

No comments:

Post a Comment